"Hi I'm Jimmy and my mission is to travel to 100 cities in 730 days. I have been to 54 cities in 365 days up to date." Quoted by Jimmy Pan.



Friday, January 16, 2009

Amsterdam 12Jan - 16Jan09

I amsterdam... this was the picture that Melissa, my batch girl showed me. I am so so jealous of her going to such nice places. haha, but never did I expect that I was actually going there on my next trip!!! Netherlands here I come!!!

Met a SUPER WUBER NICE bunch of people on board. We clicked like instantly and the next thing is EXPLORING Amsterdam!!! Natalie who happens to come from my home town which I found out on board, was along side with me. No wonder a sense of familiarity. First stop into the shopping streets of Amsterdam to grab my fridge magnets, food is a must. I don't want to die of starvation at night plus it is a 6 hours difference in Gmt.

First day was pretty much done after exploring the town of Amsterdam, Sex shops, Ann Franks' house and of course the Shopping street. Also my current favourite pork ribs stall at the corner of the Shopping street. Lovely taste! Second day, Into outskirts of Amsterdam! Cheese farm, Windmill, Animal farm, Clog maker and Seamen village. Amsterdam is famous for it's clog (wooden shoe) as they are always in rainy season most of the time. They are also rich in history of the water extraction programme which is the usage of the windmill in their land reclaimation programme. Very special indeed. One thing to note, Food is pretty expensive there. People are all over friendly and it is a safe country compare to other European countries.

Notes about Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Amsterdam is the capital andlargest city of the Netherlands, located in the province of North Holland in the west of the country. The city, which had a population of 1.36 million (with suburbs) on 1 January 2008, comprises the northern part of the Randstad, the 6th-largest metropolitan area in Europe, with a population of around 6.7 million.


Its name is derived from Amstel dam, indicative of the city's origin: a dam in the river Amstel, where the Dam Square is today. Settled as a small fishing village in the late 12th century, Amsterdam became one of the most important ports in the world during the Dutch Golden Age, a result of its innovative developments in trade. During that time, the city was the leading center for finance and diamonds. In the 19th and 20th centuries, the city expanded and many new neighbourhoods and suburbs were formed.


One of my Favourite spot in Europe. Beautiful sceneries will make you fall in love with this country. One must go places in Europe! Don't worry about language barrier as most of the people there are over friendly and they speak good English. Travellers must take note. My ratings:

Sceneries - 9/10*
Shopping - 8/10*
Food - 7/10*
People - 8/10*

"Jimmy at the Animal Farm"

"Jimmy at the Windmill Station"

"Jimmy with the famous sign I amsterdam"

No comments:

Post a Comment